Servings: 8 to 12
- 140 g Arborio rice
- 1 ea Vanilla bean (substitute 1 tbsp vanilla extract)
- 32 oz Whole milk
- 200 g Sugar
- 100 g Biscotti (hazelnut/anise flavor)
- 100 g Hazelnuts toasted and ground
- 100 g Seasonal Pantry’s Cocoa Hazelnut Spread
- 5 Eggs
- 1 Pinch of salt (to taste)
- 75 g Candied citron (optional)
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan add the milk, sugar and vanilla bean. Split bean and scrape out seeds if using a pod.
- Place the saucepan over low heat and bring the milk gently so a simmer. Add the rice and cook until done. The rice should take 30 to 35 minuets, it should not be mushy.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool. Remove the vanilla bean.
- While the rice and milk mixture cools, toast the hazelnuts for 7 to 12 minuets. Toast until fragrant and light brown.
- By hand or in a food processor, crush the biscotti into a powder and coarsely ground the hazelnuts.
- Using a bowl, crack 5 eggs and whisk in the hazelnut spread, toasted hazelnuts, biscotti powder, salt and cooled rice and milk mixture. Add candied citron if desired.
- In a 9″ x 9″ pan coated with cooking spray, pour in the mixture and place into the oven for 60 to 70 minuets.
- To check to see if it is done, place a toothpick into the middle of the pie. If it comes out clean, the pie is ready.
- Let the cake cool, then place into the fridge for 5 hours before cutting and serving.